Cinnamon-Sugar Roll Cookies
- Basic Cookie Dough
- 1/2 cup salted and roasted mixed nuts, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Vanilla Glaze
- Chopped salted and roasted mixed nuts (optional)
1. Prepare Basic Cookie Dough. Between sheets of lightly floured waxed paper, roll dough into a 16x9-inch rectangle. In a medium bowl, combine 1/2 cup mixed nuts, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture clings together. Sprinkle mixture evenly over dough. Starting from a long side, roll up dough tightly. Wrap in plastic wrap or waxed paper. Freeze about 2 hours or until dough is firm enough to slice.
2. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Cut roll into 1/4-inch slices. Place slices 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheet.
3. Bake in the preheated oven about 8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool. Drizzle cookies with Vanilla Glaze. If desired, sprinkle with additional chopped mixed nuts. Makes about 60 cookies.
To Store: Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Vanilla Glaze: In a small bowl, stir together 1 cup powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in enough milk (3 to 4 teaspoons) to make a glaze of drizzling consistency.
Basic Cookie Dough Recipe: In a large bowl, combine 1/4 c. butter (softened), 1/4 c. shortening, and 2 ounces cream cheese (softened). Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add 1 c. brown sugar, 1/2 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon, and 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg. Beat until combined, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in 1 egg and 2 tsp. vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the 2-1/2 c. all-purpose flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Makes about 2-3/4 cups dough.